Last week it snowed. Now many of you reading this many not find this to be such an extraordinary event. Yesterday, many of you probably woke up to a few inches of snow. But in Texas snow is rare especially in December.
It was such a magical occurrence. In the weeks winding up to the end of the semester, tensions have run high. All around me students are feverishly working to finish papers and prepare for final exams. But for 30 minutes last Friday all of this stopped. As I left the building I work in, all around me I saw people just enjoying the snow. Students were taking pictures with cell phones. People were calling loved ones to tell them the news of snow. A visiting group of children were running after snow flakes and trying to catch them in their mouth. It was glorious!
It reminded me of simpler times and simpler things. It reminded me of Christmas joy and the reasons we gather with loved ones to celebrate. I've run across a movement called Advent Conspiracy here and there in the last few weeks. My friend Anders (who constantly laments my failure to blog more often) recently wrote about it in his blog here. I've also become a "Fan" of theirs on Facebook. It has really challenged me rethink the hype and consumerism of Christmas, and refocus on a spirit of gratefulness and giving. It has caused me to reconsider all of the money thrown at buying gifts that are unnecessary and often unappreciated.
So I'm trying to keep in mind the simpler things. I'm working on finding creative gifts. Things with meaning that my friends and family will appreciate for more than 3 seconds. I've also been working to find items that support worthwhile causes and that serve the dual purpose of helping those in great need. Here are a few suggestions of places you should check out:
Remakers
Overlooked
TOMS Shoes
World Vision
The Hunger Site
These are just a few ideas of outside the box gifts. My primary challenge to you is to ask yourself for each person you desire to give a gift to - "What do they need?" "How can I give something of value to them?" "What will best demonstrate my love for them?"
I wish all of you a blessed Advent season and hope that you are able to share it with the ones you love.
1 comment:
Inspired post!
Post a Comment