Sunday, June 24, 2012

Italy - Week 3

This past week has been our final week in Florence. On Tuesday we will pack up and move on to Rome for one week - and then my time in Italy will be over. It's hard to believe it has gone by so swiftly, yet at the same time I feel like I've been in Italy for a long time.

This week started with a trip to a winery in Chianti. The winery itself is housed within an ancient castle which was once owned by the Pazzis, a rival family to the Medicis. We were able to tour parts of the castle as well as learn about the family who started the wine making business. A tour guide was fantastic and in addition to giving us a lesson on wine making in Chianti, he also taught us about how to identify the best type of olive oil (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and the benefits of including it in your daily diet. Of course, we also got to sample some of their products - delizioso!


The rest of the week consisted mainly of attempting to withstand the heat in Florence. The first two weeks we were here - perfect weather every day. However, this past week a heat wave hit and we were a bit uncomfortable (ok, we were flat out miserable at times). Walking anywhere in 98 degree weather felt unbearable. While I shouldn't complain because I am in Italy after all, it certainly made me appreciate how spoiled I am to live in the U.S. where air conditioning is readily available to me at any time. I can put air conditioning on my Top 5 list of reasons I will be happy to return home (though I will certainly be sad to leave Italy).

One of the highlights of my trip so far was definitely Friday's trip to Venice. I have seen pictures of Venice and movies set in Venice, but nothing could prepare me for the reality of the magnificence of this city. It is almost miraculous the way this city continues you to survive and even thrive when it is built on a lagoon with water and canals everywhere. Upon arriving, we took a boat from the Isola del Tronchetto (one of the main ports of arrival) along the main canal to San Marco. 


After arriving, we ate a lovely lunch along the shore (more pasta - of course!) and then set out to find a gondola ride. Our gondola ride was everything I dreamed it would be and more. Our gondolier Umberto taught us about the the canals of Venice and steered the boat with expert care. We were constantly amazed at the ease of which he turned what appeared to be the tightest of corners. Along the way, we were greeted by the sights of Venice - tourists waving from bridges, cafe windows opening to the canal, and other patrons enjoying their own gondola rides. It was basically perfect. 


We also spent time in Venice shopping, eating granitas (a slushy type beverage) and watching the boats. Despite the heat, it was a very enjoyable day!

Today is the Fest Day of San Giovani and will be celebrated here in Florence with medieval tournaments, a parade and fireworks. I'm looking forward to participating in the festivities. It is a fitting way to wrap up my time here in Florence.  

No comments: